Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible Expsure
Jan 8, 2008

Hell Dr. Bob, I am a female in despair.

Each year I donate blood through my place of employment. I am told that if I were to have HIV/AIDS they would reject my blood donation and I would be notified. The last time I did this was March 2007.

Since March I have been with one lover only. Things became serious and he ended up moving in with me nearly 2 months ago. After sometime we began to have unprotected sex. The next thing I know he begins to act bizarre, comes up missing for 6 days and calls me from a psychiatric hospital and informs me he is manic depressive and started doing crack!! A habit he supposedly broke 6 years ago.

To make the story even more bizarre, his ex-roomate (who is a gay man) calls to tell me they had a 3 yr relationship together! He also told me that when boyfriend goes on crack binges he has sex with anyone and anything. And that he also used needles to shoot the drugs. Needless to say, I am scared out of my wits and I demanded he go get tested for HIV, which he did but results take 4 weeks. Is it true I should wait 3 months to be tested and is it also true that you could still get the virus 7 years after you've been with someone? Please send me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely, Devastated

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Devastated,

"Hell" Dr. Bob??? Hmm . . . hi or hello might be more appropriate. OK let's talk about your possible "expsure" (and maybe your tendency to drop the letter "o" when typing).

I don't know why your boyfriend's HIV test restful would take four weeks! Results from rapid tests take only 20 minutes. Most standard blood tests would take only several days. But, be that as it may, I would suggest you get HIV tested now, as you've been having unsafe sex with psycho-tweaker-manic-depressive bisexual guy. If negative, you'll need to repeat your test three months after your last potential exposure. If your nutty-druggy lover-boy tests positive and you test negative at three months, you'll need to get a six-month test as well before yelling WOO-HOO and knowing that you're definitively HIV negative. If lover-boy tests negative, you're three-month negative test is all you'll need for a conclusive result. You can read more about HIV diagnostic tests on The Body's homepage. Click on HIV Testing Basics under the Quick Links heading.

Whoever told you that nonsense about seven years was whacko. I'd suggest you spend some time perusing the wealth of information on this site and related links. Your general knowledge about HIV seems to be a bit sketchy.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
THANK YOU! your costa rican buddy
Next
Advise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.