Thank you, last question till after test

Dr.Bob,

It's the teenager who made the HUGE mistake to hook up with the creepy online guy (what the hell was i thinking?). You have no idea how much i appreciate the answers you have given me on my last to post and to all the other people. It's really helped me to stay calm and deal with this. So thank you.

Although my symtpoms have scared me to death to say the least, I'm going to try to do what you said and get out of my "YOU GOT HIV" mentality that ive been in and just tell myself "I had a low risk and just need to get tested before I jump to conclusions."

Which brings up my question: My exposure was early december. Would it be okay to wait until february/march to get tested so that i reach the "3 month mark" that every website seems to preach about? I guess im trying to ask: Let's say im positive, would it do alot of damage to wait the extra month and a half or so to get tested so that im sure im out of the window period, or would a detecting HIV a month earlier be way better?

(and dont worry, just to be on the safe side for everyone else: NO SEX until test.. i dont even want to chance kissing someone!!! so spreading is not the issue.. just wondering if HIV would do alot of damage in that extra month.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH and hopefully this is my last question until i get tested! Dr.Bob- your amazing!

Your new mindset is more logical, healthy and appropriate for your current predicament.

Regarding HIV testing, I would definitely encourage you to wait for a full three months before getting tested. HIV-antibody testing done prior to the three-month mark is not considered to be conclusive. You will not be doing yourself any harm by waiting until the end of the window period. Just think positive about being negative between now and then, OK? Also while you're waiting for your test you can spend some time perusing the wealth of information on this site, in its archives and on the related links to increase your knowledge about HIV, STDs, and safer-sex techniques.

I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

your work is amazing
New job, need peace of mind!