Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SINCERE QUESTION
Jan 6, 2008

Hello, Dr.Bob

Can I ask a personall question?...I know that you were born a Catholic, I also know that you are gay.. since you are gay and the Catholic church compares it to a cocaine addiction ex. Cocaine is not good for you, even though people love it and jonez for it, that does not make it right..it can kill you..Being gay is an addiction, a temptation that you have to resist, just like a temptation to do coke..you can die from having gay sex also..that being said, are you still practising catholicism

Stay well!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Being gay is an addiction???" What??? Sweetie Pie, use your head. Sexual orientation is not an addiction, nor is it a choice. Now think this through. Assuming you are straight, do you remember when you made that "choice" to be attracted to the opposite sex? No, I didn't think so because you did not choose! Neither did I. The same applies for all gay men and women. People don't choose to be attracted to the same sex; they just are. Homosexuality is found in all animal species and dates back to antiquity in man. It is not an addiction and comparing it to cocaine abuse is ludicrous. If the Catholic Church is proposing such analogies, they should be ashamed of themselves. Also, who ever claimed you could die from having gay sex??? Another myth! You can die from HIV, but that's a virus and viruses really don't care if you're gay, straight, bi-curious or even Mormon. Please note the vast majority of HIV-infected folks worldwide are heterosexual and contracted the illness via heterosexual sex. (Perhaps one cold claim heterosexual sex is lethal?) Also, please note the incidence of HIV is extremely low in lesbians. Lesbians also have "gay" sex, right? So if HIV incidence or prevalence is the basis of your argument that gay sex kills, then lesbians must be God's chosen children, as they have the lowest incidence.

Yes, I was born a Catholic and even attended Catholic grammar school until the third grade when the school burned down. (Not my fault! Honest. Although Sister Justine might still have her doubts.) At any rate, I escaped into the public schools then and have been a recovering Catholic ever since.

By the way, have you been following Pope Benny's latest lunacy? Apparently the Vatican's chief exorcist, Father Gabriele Amorth, has revealed that Benny is setting up exorcism squads to deal with the rampant growth of Satanism! Honest. I'm not making this shit up! Apparently hundreds of priests will be trained as exorcists.

Personally I think Benny's funny hat may be on a bit too tight. Embracing medieval thought and superstition, he seems to be dragging the church back into the first century. Gee, I wonder if this has anything to do with Tony Blair signing on and drinking the Kool-Aid. But I digress . . . . So please do me a favor and try using some common sense and science rather than nonsensical "beliefs." You just may find true enlightenment.

Dr. Bob

Previous
SEX
Next
I RUINED MY LIFE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.