Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BLACKJACK AND MY PHOBIA
Jan 6, 2008

Hello doctor bob,

THANK you AGAIN.. for your support I left another message earlier today and sent you one last message that I would like for you to tell me if its time to collect my frequent flier miles and head on out to Cali.

Doc my symptons suck .. i feel weird my stomach is uneasy , I have these burning hot feelings in my body , constant heartburn , back pains , flu like symptons do you think the unprotected walk on the wild side got me?

Regarding Blackjack they shuffle after every hand I am sorry to say I did not assist MIT otherwise I would go with you.

I just play position at places like Vegas thats all I never split 20s .

And on the roulette table.. well I have much love for that game specially craps I love to roll .. actually craps is the ONE game were the house does not have that much of a hold on you.

Well doc , not much to say I am pretty out of game right now I cant focus and there are NO elisa tests here or 3 they are old school and I dont want to wait any longer.

PS. Now sports I am known to pick a few winners

Enjoy Vegas doc and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Gambling Guy,

I'm a bit confused. Your last post stated you had "protected" sex, but this post talks about an "unprotected walk on the wild side."

Regarding symptoms, as I've often stated in this forum, symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. The reason to get tested (or to even worry about HIV) is whether or not you've placed yourself at risk for acquiring the virus. Since you're a gambling man who certainly understands the concept of "odds," perhaps you'll find this statistic reassuring. Assuming your sexcapade was indeed unprotected and that your partner was confirmed to be HIV positive, consider the following estimated statistic. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Consequently, when you ask me if your walk on the wild side "got" you, I'd have to say the odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract the virus. However, only an HIV test can give you a definitive answer. I'd recommend a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark.

I'm sure your symptoms are indeed annoying, but please note the list of symptoms you provided is extremely nonspecific. To assume that HIV is the cause is illogical and against all the odds. I'd recommend having a good internist evaluate your current complaints. I very strongly doubt they are HIV related.

Regarding Vegas, I'm actually going for reasons other than gambling, but I'm sure I'll find some time to roll some dice. I also want to see the new Cirque du Soleil show LOVE based on Beatles songs.

Dr. Bob

Previous
gr8
Next
Window period and autoimmune disease

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.