Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A little confused.. please clarify
Jan 5, 2008

Dr Bob, I am somewaht confused and would really be happy if you would use your wisdom and knowledge to calrify somrthing that has been nagging at me. On Aug 10th I had unprotected sex with a heterosexual male w/44 yrs old. My concern or confusion is this. I have never done any drugs period. He ( I found out after the fact)has done drugs and has used IV drugs as well. I have had multiple HIV test. I have tested consistently neg out to 16 weeks. I keep reading about IV drug users having different time frames for testing (6 mos) Since I have never done drugs but he has is my testing out to 16 weeks definitive and conclusive or do I need to keep testing?Or would the longer testing time frame apply to him since he was the drug user. If it makes any difference I did find out that he has quit using and attends NA meetings and has just gotten remarried. I do not know how long he has been clean. I had the one time brief unprotected sex encounter with him. I am married ( I have confessed this whole thing to my loving and forgiving husband)and prior to this have been a faithful wife and have not put myself at any risk for any STDs. I have tested for all other STDs as well as HEP A,B,and C. these were all neg.Please clear this up for me. Can I woohoo and put this definitively behind me or not. Thank you so much, I pray that you have a Happy and very Healthy New Year. I plan to donate as soon as finances allow me to. I have recently lost my job due to economic reasons. confused and waiting

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You want me to "calrify somrthing"???? Hmm . . . OK, but first I should introduce you to your spell checker button.

Regarding your 12-stepping paramour, that he abused drugs would not affect the accuracy of your HIV tests or the duration of your window period. Your multiple negative tests out to 16 weeks are indeed definitive and conclusive. No additional testing is warranted; however, a loud WOO-HOO is!

Happy Healthy Holidays to you too!

Dr. Bob

Previous
DR BOB PLEASE HELP (HEINEKEN-UP-THE-HEINE GUY)
Next
Please please please answer me third time asking.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.