Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THANK YOU but check it out doc bob
Jan 5, 2008

Dr Bob,

This is Jon from Costa Rica I just called and got an answering machine and left you a VM.

Thank you so much for your response , I chck your page everyday hoping that perhaps you answered my query.

I keep getting myself into trouble ... I had protected sex with someone almost 5 weeks ago

NOW... I have ear pains , flu like feelings , headaches , one of my armpits its fairly swollen , some sore throat , i feel very tired and with some nauseas at times I know you think I am a wooried well but these symptons are not product of my fixation is it possible that this is ARS? .. the rubber didnt break btw .

I am for sure going up there and getting you lunch at least , and btw ... regarding your dice game one of the best bets in craps is betting the " field " consistenly and if you get a 2 or a 12 the payout is nice.

BUT the best advice I could give you the best way to double your money is to fold it and put it in your pocket :)

Thanks again Doc

Jon

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Jon,

I just retrieved your voicemail. As is often the case, I'm out of the area traveling again. This might be considered fortunate, considering the Bay Area is getting slammed with back-to-back winter storms at the moment. For future reference, if you need a call back, you'll need to leave your contact information. You can also reach the foundation by clicking on "contact us" on our Web site, www.frascinoaidsfound.org.

Regarding your current "trouble," "protected sex" is indeed protected if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Assuming this was indeed the case, your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent.

As for symptoms, they are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

Consequently my advice is simple: If you placed yourself at risk for HIV, get a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. If you did not have a potential HIV exposure, stop perseverating on a disease you couldn't possibly have.

The symptoms you report are very nonspecific and could be (and almost certainly are) caused by a wide array of potential underlying non-HIV conditions, such as common flu!

If, despite my advice, you continue to worry, get a single HIV test at the three-month mark to put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest. If your current symptoms are persistent, recurrent or bothersome, have your doctor evaluate them.

Finally, thanks for the gambling advice. I frequently do place a "field" bet. I also agree with your wise advice on the "best way to double one's money!" Then again sometimes I hear the green double 0 calling my name as I walk past the roulette table.

Be well Jon. Now, what about counting cards while playing Blackjack?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worth Starting Treatment Earlier to Lower Transmission Risk?
Next
DR BOB PLEASE HELP (HEINEKEN-UP-THE-HEINE GUY)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.