Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i am in a living hell
Jan 5, 2008

hello dr.bob i read your answers all the time and think your work is amazing. i have been really worried about a possible hiv infection for the past 3 months because of my symptoms. i got flu like symptoms about 3 months ago with swollen lymph nodes and then about 2 weeks after that my armpits were really irratating then about a month ago i felt some lumps in my groin which i think are my lymph nodes and my neck has been killing me for the past 2 or 3 months which i think might be my lymph nodes.. but the funny thing is that i have not been in any possible risk and i have checked every possible risk factor in the internet and i have not been involvd in any...is there any form i could have gotten the virus inside my body and should i get tested?? i think about it all day and i have not been the same since i have gone to 3 different doctors and they told me i should not worry but i think your opinion is the best i can get....please answer doc i send you my best all the way from mexico

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

No possible HIV risk or exposure means no possibility of HIV infection. It really is just that simple! Whatever is causing your symptoms, HIV is not the cause. I absolutely agree with the three physicians you've already contacted. Your problem is fear of HIV, not HIV itself. Counseling may help you overcome these irrational fears. If, on the other hand, you had had a possible HIV exposure, I would have advised an HIV test at the 3 month mark, whether or not you had any symptoms!

Good luck. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
dear Dr. bob its me with negative elisa test
Next
Worth Starting Treatment Earlier to Lower Transmission Risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.