Re: taking ecstasy

Hi - I just saw a question about taking ecstasy while you're on HIV meds. You referenced an old response that gave a fairly thorough response to the direct effects of taking club drugs whether you are HIV+ or not.

I was surprised, however, that you didn't stress the secondary (but perhaps more crucial effects). From the studies I've seen, long-term success for HIV treatment requires strict adherence to the prescribed regimine (I think I recall something like a need to have 90 - 95% adherence over the course of a year to avoid the chance of developing resistance - perhaps you have the specific numbers available at your fingertips).

There is probably (or likely, if you're honest with yourself) a much higher likelihood of missing single or multiple doses, or having intermittent adherence to the prescribed course of treatment when regularly using club drugs. This means a much higher chance of developing resistant strains, experiencing treatment failure, and limiting your long-term options and probably your life-span.

Ok, that wasn't a question, but maybe it is worth printing anyway?

Regards, Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your comment. I absolutely agree. Although, there are some club-drug "P and P'ers" who do actually adhere to their meds. But certainly your point is very well taken and many studies over the years have concluded club-drugs definitely increase the likelihood of non-adherence with both HIV meds and safer-sexual practices a real double whammy!

Stay well Chuck.

side effects
How does HIV get into the body through the urethra?