PEP and Figgy Pudding

Hi Dr. Bob,

I hope you are doing well - Merry Christmas to you!

A week ago I had brief (few seconds, couple of thrusts) receptive anal sex with a guy of unknown status - he used a condom, we stopped after those few seconds, and then finished just with kissing and mutual masturbation. Later on, I checked the discarded condom, and noticed that there was a break in the latex on the side. There wasn't any semen in the condom.

I immediately went to the ER, and was started on PEP within a few hours. I followed up the next day with the good people at a well-known clinic here in San Francisco, and the two doctors that I spoke to gave differing advice regarding the decision to continue using PEP - one said that the risk was not significant enough to warrant it, given the lack of ejaculation in the condom, and the other said that it's probably a good idea to continue. I'm now a week into PEP, and feeling the effects...eesh.

I'm trying not to lose my head, and continue as normal we best I can right now. However, I wanted to get your opinion as to whether PEP was warranted in this situation, and as such whether or not it should be continued.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Bay Area Billy

Hey Bay Area Billy Boy,

From the limited information given in your post, I would tend to side with the physician who advised nPEP was not warranted.

Thanks for reminding our readers that a course of nPEP (nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis) is no picnic! ". . . eesh" is putting it mildly! These are potent medications. Side effects and toxicities can be significant. As the old saying goes, "better safe than 'eesh'" or something like that.

Happy&Healthy New Year Dr. Bob!
side effects