Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STREPTOCOCCUS? Whoo-whooable?
Jan 4, 2008

Hello Dr.Bob, and first of all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and thank you very much for all your help, you are incredible.

I'm sorry for my English, it is not my mother tongue...My question is:

I had a single exposure with a female sexworker, the condom broke for about 10 seconds, maybe less, and when I noticed I changed it immediately. I began to visit this forum and I learnt a lot from you and all the people who write.

So, I took an ELISA test 2 months after the exposure (negative), another one at the three month mark (negative) and another one (PCR test and Rapid-20min-test) after 110 days. It was negative too, so following your advice, I thought it was conclusive.

One week after the last test (125 days aprox. after the single exposure) I developed horrible symptoms: I went to the doctor, and I had high temperature for 1-2 days, sore throat, big cold symptoms, etc. I had never had such a big symptoms in the last 5 years. He treated me with antibiotics for 10 days, and I was a bit better, but my sore throat continued and he diagnosed a big tonsillitis, with Group A streptococcal bacteria. This symptoms lasted, in total, for 3 weeks, and now I'm OK.

Do you think that Streptococcus and these symptoms could be related with late seroconversion?

Are my 3 month-mark tests conclusive? Or should I retest after 6 months? (I hope not...)

Thnak you very much again, Dr.Bob. I would like to put all this apart and Whoo-whoo, and be sure that this is conclusive and has nothing to see with HIV.

Thank you, a donation will me made again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 110 days are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Group A streptococcal infection has absolutely nothing to do with HIV seroconversion. Group A strep is a bacterium. HIV is a virus, a totally different type of germ.

No further HIV testing is warranted. The only thing you need to do is to re-WOO-HOO. And this time believe it!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Happy Holidays to you and yours. WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Donation to your Foundation
Next
Recently divorced and want to be sure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.