Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ohh my God i tested positive or what
Jan 4, 2008

ohh my god how hard is it to test positive, i had protected sex 4 months ago and i did PCR and elise with (ehivtest.com) after 2 months because i got lymph nodes then after 3 months i did the oraquick came back negative but i thought i will do last one after 4 months after the new year and a red line came on the C and vey very light line its hard to see came on the T u only see it if u put on close to a bright light they got confuesd and then finally the doctor told me it might be positive and he sent me to the lab to do another test to confirm im losing my mind why why why over one protected sex no oral no deep kissing and for one night that would happen to me please help me

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Relax Max. I very strongly doubt you are positive.

Your HIV risk protected sex would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break.

Your negative OraQuick test at three months is definitive and conclusive. The negative ELISA test taken at two months was encouraging, but not conclusive, as HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three month mark are not considered to be definitive. PCR testing is not recommended as routine HIV screening, due to the rate of false-positives and cost.

Your "very very light line" on your four-month test is most likely a "false" positive. Your confirmatory tests will reconfirm what we already know: you are HIV negative. OK?

Stop worrying and stop getting excessive, unwarranted HIV tests, because, as you can see, they can lead to confusion and considerable unnecessary stress!

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
negative elisa indeterminate western blot
Next
Re; Holes in Condoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.