Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Did I test wrong?
Jan 4, 2008

This seems like a great site for info. I have done some reading and still have a question. I definately had a serious possible exposure to hiv. I had unprotected sex with a stripper when I was drunk and after noticed that I had a herpes sore starting to emerge that had got rubbed open during are session. I was so drunk for about 10 hours prior that I didn't even know I was getting a spot. I noticed after getting home the next day that there was some blood in my underwear. Presumably hers from me not really cleaning myself off after. Stupid I know. I think I might have had mild seroconversion symptoms now looking back but, didn't really think about it. Denial. Three months later I Developed a strange mouth rash that has persisted for 18 months. Super small little scabs or mouth sores all over my hard palate. They seem to come constantly, never going away. 12 months after exposure I thought I needed to test because I can't get my mouth to clear up and my stomach is always constantly gurgling and making weird sounds. I went to a clinic and was given an Orasure advance test swab. I was told to put the swab in my mouth in my upper gum. I put it all the way in my mouth into my cheek on the side. After about 30 seconds the guy said no not like that, on your gums above your teeth. I rubbed the swab hard on my gums and again pushed it way into the saliva on the rear sides of my mouth. I probably over did it for sure. The test had a C line but, not a T so he said I was negative. Now 5 months later my wife has shingles. She's in her 30's. My mouth has weird super tiny ulcers all over. I am starting to question if I did the test wrong because Orasures site says DO NOT touch the swab on your cheek or tongue or roof of mouth. Can you please explain why. Did I get so much saliva on the swab that possibly the result is questionable? I called Orasure and they said you should probably test again. I was not a chronic worrier but, cannot find any info on what's going on in my mouth at all except for a early sign of hiv. My wife's shingles scare me too. Can you get the wrong result by loading up the swab with saliva. Please help of course I am scared for my wife's health. Mine too but, I was the stupid one. We were having problems but, I never meant to harm her. Should I retest? Thank you so much Doctor Bob. God bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently, HIV testing at the three-month mark is warranted. I tend to doubt you invalidated your OraSure test, but if you are uncertain, why not just retest to put your fears to rest? You'll have an accurate result in 20 minutes.

I cannot diagnose the cause of your mouth symptoms over the Internet. I tend to strongly doubt they are HIV related. I suggest you have your doctor evaluate the problem. As for your wife's shingles, please know that the vast majority of cases of shingles have absolutely nothing to do with HIV!

I would suggest as your best course of action:

1. level with your wife if you have not already done so;

2. get a repeat rapid HIV test to calm your fears;

3. have your general medical doctor evaluate your mouth symptoms;

4. never place yourself in this predicament again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Positive screening, Negative WB and Final test.
Next
what exactly are extenuating circumstances?? pls advise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.