Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nervous and dont know
Dec 22, 2007

I had my 1st experience...a top. From that experience I caught Gonnarhea. I am now very very nervous about HIV. The other guy doesnt know his status but just got tested, I am going to have a DNA test tomorrow to speed things up..I'm so nervous I am physically sick. I was the top, it happened once..wont ever happen again...ever.. what are my chances here... I'm worried very sick.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Since you contracted gonorrhea, I have to assume your sexperience was unprotected. Unsafe sex is called unsafe for a reason and now you know why!

As it turns out, some STDs are more easily contracted than others. Gonorrhea, for instance, is much easier to acquire than HIV. However, since you did place yourself at risk, HIV is still a possibility and testing is warranted. The estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. This statistic is only an estimate of the relative risk and cannot be strictly applied to any one specific situation, as there are many variables that can ultimately influence whether or not HIV is transmitted with any given exposure.

If your bottom-boy buddy does test negative, that should decrease your worry significantly. The only chance for HIV transmission in that case would be if bottom-guy was in his window period (HIV infected but not yet demonstrating detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies). The odds of this being the case are remote at best.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Chafed Masturbation and Toilet Paper
Next
Please Doctor Bob say it ain't so...please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.