Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I love you Dr. Bob...am I paranoid?!
Dec 22, 2007

Dr. Bob,

I do not want to waste your time and I am sorry if you feel this question does, however, I am completely freaking out!

Ok...here goes. About one month ago, I played tonsil hockey for oh...about 5 hours or so on and off w/ someone I had just met. I know that I wasn't bleeding in my mouth or anything and didn't think anything about it...just plain old fun...right? Well, about 3-10 days after, I developed this small, red dot about the size of a dime or so on my right thigh and it has smaller red dots surrounding it. That's it, that's all there is, but nothing is helping it go away. It is still there! I was checking the archives and I can't really find anything about this, except one lady said the rash was usually small, red dots that can be raised or flat! That's what this is! So, Dr. Bob...am I completely freaking out for no reason or do I have reason to worry. Does this sound like a common symptom of hiv? Can the rash develop on your thigh? It hasn't gotten bigger, but it hasn't gone away!

I'm sorry to bother you and waste your time, but PLEASE Dr. Bob. My friends all think that I'm crazy and I can't just enjoy life, but...PLEASE!!! I have donated in the past and will continue to in the future. I believe the work you do is outstanding! I pray that you and I are around to see the cure...you are an angel!!! I'm just so glad that all us "crazies" have someone like you to confide in and turn to. I wish I could fly there and have you personally give me my test...I need some of your good karma! Thank you for your time Dr. Bob...I love making out and I don't know why I can't just enjoy it! But like I said, I don't usually just get unexplainable rashes on my leg! Please help Dr. Bob!!!

thanks...

crazy about kissing:)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Crazy about Kissing,

To answer your specific questions:

1. Q: Are you completely freaking out for no reason or do you have reason to worry? A: Completely freaking out for no reason. Definitely completely freaking out for no reason.

2. Q: Does this sound like a common symptom of HIV? A: Nope. The rash associated with acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) is not isolated to a single spot.

3. Q: Can an HIV-associated rash develop on the thigh? A: Yes, but not only on the thigh! It's much more generalized, most frequently involving the face and trunk and sometimes the extremities, palms and soles.

Returning now to your general HIV risk tonsil hockey. So you played tonsil hockey for five hours with someone you just met? That's an impressive amount of lip lock for a first date! As for this being an HIV-transmission risk factor, I see no reason for concern. As the lyrics to a classic old song go, ". . . you must remember this; a kiss is just a kiss . . . as time (five whole hours!) goes by . . . ."

Finally, as far as flying here just to get an HIV test, that certainly isn't necessary, as your test will undoubtedly be negative. Besides, I can send my good-luck karma to you without worries about flight delays or hassles of waiting in long lines at airport security.

So relax, guy, and enjoy your Holidays. With all the mistletoe around, this should be your favorite time of year, eh?

Thanks for your donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. They are urgently needed and warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well. Nol!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Risk
Next
Jesus Loves Strippers!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.