|HIV-2 specific testing
Dec 19, 2007
Hello Dr. Bob
I had a risky sexual intercourse with a man from Gambia (where, as far as I know, HIV-2 is endemic). Should I also test for HIV-2 or one 3 month standard antibody test is enough?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
HIV-2 is endemic in Gambia and other countries in West Africa, including Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, So Tomé, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo in addition to other African countries Angola and Mozambique. Consequently HIV-2 testing is indeed warranted. (Some "standard" antibody tests now cover HIV-2 as well as HIV-1.)
Remember, a thin piece of latex properly used would significantly decrease the risk of contracting many STDs, including HIV-1 and HIV-2.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Herpes After Sharing Vibrators Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Scrotum After Licking Penis Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Night Sweats After Oral Sex Hooker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.