Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP MAD
Dec 19, 2007

Dear Doc Robert,

I feel somewhat ashamed asking given your own very real battles, compared with I believe my irrational fears, however I thought I should ask.

Was it mad/irrational to do a full course of combivir PEP after the following, not with out but negligible risk, tomfoolery.

1. briefly kissing and licking a vagina, though no insertion with a sexworker/masseuse). No visible sores or cuts in mouth though I had just eaten and drunk alcohol 2. Fingering said vagina, but no deep insertion, though she felt exceedingly wet. 3) Naked back massage, I have a pimply bottom, and her vagina may have come in-contact with the pimples, and possible loo paper wipe nicks.

I took the full course of PEP (boy does it make you feel unwell - you must be an extraordinary individual to be on meds such as this and continue to work so hard) but wondered if given the above I have over reacted to the risk of infection

My main concern is that I have had herpes out breaks, but not for many years, but 10 days into the pep I had an out break - would this just be deep stress induced - I like to think so.

Thanks for your feed back.

A very stressed out and hyper worried scaredy cat.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Scaredy Cat,

PEP was not indicated. Whoever prescribed it for you did not do you any favors. You are correct: antiretrovirals are not easy to tolerate and can indeed make you "unwell"!

Dr. Bob

Previous
key to your success
Next
Apologies and a symptom question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.