PEP MAD

Dear Doc Robert,

I feel somewhat ashamed asking given your own very real battles, compared with I believe my irrational fears, however I thought I should ask.

Was it mad/irrational to do a full course of combivir PEP after the following, not with out but negligible risk, tomfoolery.

1. briefly kissing and licking a vagina, though no insertion with a sexworker/masseuse). No visible sores or cuts in mouth though I had just eaten and drunk alcohol 2. Fingering said vagina, but no deep insertion, though she felt exceedingly wet. 3) Naked back massage, I have a pimply bottom, and her vagina may have come in-contact with the pimples, and possible loo paper wipe nicks.

I took the full course of PEP (boy does it make you feel unwell - you must be an extraordinary individual to be on meds such as this and continue to work so hard) but wondered if given the above I have over reacted to the risk of infection

My main concern is that I have had herpes out breaks, but not for many years, but 10 days into the pep I had an out break - would this just be deep stress induced - I like to think so.

Thanks for your feed back.

A very stressed out and hyper worried scaredy cat.

Hi Scaredy Cat,

PEP was not indicated. Whoever prescribed it for you did not do you any favors. You are correct: antiretrovirals are not easy to tolerate and can indeed make you "unwell"!

key to your success
Apologies and a symptom question