Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

persistent doubts
Dec 18, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

Have a Happy Holliday Season and may 2008 bring you more laughter and happiness!

Am I becoming paranoid or what?

For almost a year I have been experiencing ongoing problems with my stool : clay, not formed and yellowish many times. I am consulting GE doc in this matter.

Sometimes I don't know which symptoms I can attribute to HIV are for real and which ones are a product of my imagination (few night sweats, tardiness in the evening, occasional cold hands, loss of muscle weight, etc).

I am trying to be rational but in the back of my head I speculate that HIV tests don't work on me because of exposure time frame, unknown group, mutations, etc. (prior exposures 5-12 years ago in Europe).

Having been reassured by your response in the past, other doctors I have talked to and tests, I asked my physician to order again HIV Western Blot, HIV 1/O/2 ICMA antibody and DNA PCR tests. All came back negative. Is it possible they would be false-negative or am I becoming psycho-sicko (Sicko documentary is superb)?

The new Concerted Effort website is chic (as always, donation forwarded)!

somewhat worried

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"Having been reassured by your response in the past, others doctors I have talked to and tests, I asked my physician to order again HIV Western Blot, HIV 1/0/2 ICMA antibody and DNA PCR tests."!!??!!?? Hmm . . . apparently you weren't all that "reassured" after all!!! Predictably all your tests came back negative. So now you are wondering if they all could be false-negatives!?!? Hmm . . . so the key question you pose is: "Is it possible they would be false-negative or am I becoming psycho-sicko?" The answer is psycho-sicko, definitely psycho-sicko. Look sweetie, exactly which part of "HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding???

Stop testing? HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. If you continue to perseverate on HIV, you need to seek counseling, because your fears are completely unwarranted and totally irrational.

Glad you liked the new Web site design (www.concertedeffort.org).

Happy Holidays to you as well.

Now stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Forgetting PEP(donation in message)
Next
is there a risk of hiv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.