New ICMA Hiv Test, Please DR. Bob

Hi Dr. Bob:

A friend of mine here in the Bay Area, CA, referred me to you and this site. I have had Hiv antibody EIA tests in the past but now I see that Labcorp is calling it an Hiv ICMA test with confirmatory WB. What is this new ICMA antibody test? Was my Hiv EIA test as reliable that I had two years ago, or should I have the recent ICMA.

Thanks in advance for your reply and Happy Holidays.

Rick, San Francisco

Hi Rick,

Your HIV EIA (enzyme immunoassay) was indeed very reliable. ICMA refers to immunochemiluminometric assay. This is just another method of determining the presence or absence of specific anti-HIV antibodies. Both EIA and ICMA require a confirmatory test, such as a WB (Western Blot).

Happy Thankschristkwanzaakah to you too!

indeterminate before but now negative elisa
Non sexual transmission by blood