The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Topping a HIV + and follow up

Dec 15, 2007

I (HIV Neg) topped a HIV Pos bareback. I didn't know until after and I am terrified. What do I do now? Is AZT an option? It's been 3 days. We both engaged in rimming and deep kissing as well.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Why is it that you only became terrified once you found out your bottom boy was poz? Barebacking is risky business. Twenty-five percent of the over one million HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected. We must assume all our sex partners could be HIV positive and take the appropriate precautions to prevent HIV transmission.

The options after a significant HIV exposure include nPEP (nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis), which involves taking a combination of antiretroviral drugs for a period of 28 days to decrease the chance of acquiring HIV. However, to be effective, nPEP must be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after the exposure. Since your exposure was three days ago, nPEP is no longer an option for you. Consequently, all you can do now is get an HIV test at the three-month mark and also learn from this experience that barebacking isn't worth the potential disastrous consequence of becoming HIV infected. Please note you will have to wait a full three months before getting tested, as HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HIV Testing with Immune Deficiency?
Meningitis and HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint