The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Transmission

Dec 15, 2007

I am a male and I recently engaged in a non-safe sexual act with another male.He is HIV+ and is currently taking Atripla,he is undetectable.This incident happened on November 24, 2007.My concern is am I at risk of getting infected?When should I go get tested? What should I do?Please help!

Response from Dr. Frascino


You don't give details about your "non-safe sexual act," but assuming this was indeed an unsafe sexual encounter with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive, you have placed yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV. If you had a significant HIV exposure, nPEP (nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis) could be considered. However, in order to be effective in aborting a possible infection, the treatment should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after the exposure. Assuming that is no longer an option for you, the next step would be to get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests (ELISA, EIA, rapid tests) are not considered to be definitive or conclusive if taken prior to the three-month mark. If you test negative at three months and if you had a significant confirmed HIV exposure, the CDC would also recommend a follow-up test at six months. (Documented significant exposure to partner confirmed to be HIV positive.)

Finally, as far as "what should I do," I strongly recommend you stop putting yourself at risk. Spend some time reviewing the safer sex guidelines readily available on this site in the archives.

Stay safe to stay well.

Dr. Bob

I don't get it
thanks for the Cd

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint