UPDATE: PEP I wrote earlier this week

Dr bob- I will first post what I orignally sent than I will give you the update.

POST-my question is in 2 parts. the first question is a normal question. the 2nd you may make fun of me and I understand.

1) is there any hiv test in the states that can be done before the 90 day period or am i stuck to wait for the elisa test?

2) I know that you cannot get HIV from shaking hands. but today I shook hands with a client that was a known meth user in his 40's who can barely remember his name. this is NOT a medical job or place. I shook his hand after he setled down because he was irate at one of our employees, i felt a pinch. and now there is a circular mark the size of a pin or needle. I didnt panick at first, so I dont know if it broke skin. DR- I am a married man. I do not do any drugs, been tested before marriage in the correct timeframe. now I am scared to death and feeling depressed and lost. Do you think TESTING is something I should do again? AM I driving myself nuts over nothing?

PS- What sucks is the country can go and spend billions of dollars on this war but cant put billions into finding a cure for this.

I am sorry if my question is stupid and I am sorry if I am stupid.

UPDATE: I got the courage to seek the police. after that I went to my family DR who referred me to infectious disease specialist. So the infectious disease specialist put me on PEP. I have to take 2 meds...one starts with a K and the other is like cirmvior or something. 1 month of this. Do you think that is the right call?

Response to your original questions:

1. Barring extenuating circumstances, the ELISA test at the three-month mark remains the best HIV-screening test.

2. Are you driving yourself nuts over nothing? Yep!

Response to your "update":

I disagree with the decision to use PEP for such a far fetched potential exposure. Your PEP drugs are most likely Kaletra and Combivir. These are not benign medications and they can have significant side effects. Yes, they can be appropriate for nPEP (nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis) when appropriately indicated; however, your situation would not warrant nPEP in my opinion. You might try getting a second opinion from an HIV specialist. You can find certified HIV specialists in your area by consulting the American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site at www.aahivm.org. There you will find HIV specialists listed by locale.

Your HIV worries are way off base and completely unwarranted! Your concerns about our country spending billions on Dubya's disastrous war rather than applying the money to our nation's ills are, on the other hand, highly warranted and right on target!

Back Again
I don't get it