Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance and HIV
Dec 13, 2007

Hi Doc,

I would like to share my little story with you

1.Had a protected vaginal intercourse with a prostitute. I left my credit card at the ATM while paying her and got duped. It was November 2004. 2.Got vague systems of ARS the next week and freaked out. 3.Started Internet research and found www.thebody.com Came to know of Dr Bob and was impressed by his jovial personality and strength of character. 4.Wrote to Dr. Bob but unfortunately he was not impressed by my question. Did not receive any reply. 5.Followed Dr. Bobs forum over these 2 years and read the archives extensively. Still never mustered the courage to get tested. 6.Come 2007 and I applied for an insurance policy absent-mindedly to save taxes. Had absolutely no idea that insurance company will test me extensively for most common diseases including HIV. 7.The medical technicians from the insurance company came to my home one day early morning and yanked me out of the bed. Before I had any idea, they had done ECG and taken my urine and blood samples. Then they asked me to sign on a certain form without informing me the contents. 8.Later I found out that my signatures on the form were intended as my consent to get tested for variety of diseases including Elisa for HIV. 9.I simply freaked out. Started waiting anxiously for my results. Started dreading picking calls on my mobile dreading one of the calls may be about my test results. Stupid Tele-marketers- they call you so often!!! 10.Got my results after a week on my mobile informing me that I had high levels of SGOT/SGPT(SGOT-63, SGPT-125) and elevated Lipid Profile. No mention of HIV. I took the call on my mobile while driving and got fined as a result (In India, it is an offence) 11.I asked of my test results to be sent to me. And there it was what I wanted to see. I was HIV Negative. 12.I got the Insurance policy with increased premiums. I did not challenge the enhanced premiums since I was happy to have a negative test. 13.HIV anxiety cost me a lot in these 2 years including fraud on my credit card, the traffic fine and extra premiums on my insurance policy. 14.To conclude, Thank You Dr Bob!!! Please say Hi to me!!! If you think that I am OK, please congratulate me!!! And also give me permission to Boo Woo!!!! 15.I am aware that I benefited a lot from Dr. Bob. I will donate on the new year eve (sorry, low funds right now waiting for my salary!!) However, even if I donate a large chunk of my salary, it wont still amount to much due to high dollar to Rupee conversion. Dr. Bob- still request you to accept them!!!

Thx....DK from India

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello DK from India,

That's a very intriguing, entertaining and somewhat tragic story. Interestingly enough you asked for my permission to "BOO-WOO." Hmm . . . is that supposed to be "BOO-HOO" for the credit card fraud, traffic fine and two years of unwarranted anxiety? Or was that supposed to be "WOO-HOO" for an ecstatic yelp of joy for being HIV negative? Either way you have my blessings! No doubt HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. However, I must admit you also appear to have a fair bit of bad luck following you around! Perhaps now that you realize you are definitively and conclusively HIV negative, your luck will change! I do hope so!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Re: Do all HIVers deserve care?..Apologies.
Next
Iraq war vet needs help PLZ

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.