newly hiv+

i was diagnosed on my birthday 6 months ago. i have started atripla 3 months ago (cd4 450, vl of 170,000). about a month after beginning atripla i could palpate my cervical lypmh nodes. now i can palpate my supracalvicular nodes. i have been feeling fine (other than some gi issues), and was wondering if this is something that i should tell my doctors. i not really proficient in the hiv treatment, could the restoration of the cd4 enlarge the supraclavicular nodes. please help me. sincerely, nys rn...

Hello NYS RN,

Immune reconstitution can, in some cases, cause enlargement of some lymph nodes. However, I feel you are being hypervigilant about your illness. You are on Atripla and your CD4 counts are reasonably good (450). I would suggest that if the nodes are not painful or rapidly changing and you continue to feel "fine," there is no urgency in contacting your HIV specialist about this issue. Just plan to mention it to him at the time of your next routine visit. In the meantime you can learn more about the natural history of HIV-disease and its management. There is a wealth of information on this site. Check out the archives, other forums and basic information articles (easily accessed on The Body's homepage).

I see nothing worrisome about your clinical course to date. Hopefully your Atripla will begin to drive your plasma HIV viral load down and that will allow a rise in your CD4 count.

Can a child contact HIV from a carrier who's "dads friend"? (CASUAL CONTACT, HIV BASICS)
About ARS (interesting question, I think) (NATURAL HISTORY) (ARS SYMPTOMS)