Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is epididymitis a symptom of HIV??
Dec 12, 2007

About two weeks ago i was diagnosed with epididymitis. I am 23 years old and when i went to a urlogist all they kept saying was it had to be an STD causing it, because of my age. Then that made me wirry about HIV bc if i could have an STD, i could def have HIV. So they did a culture test with a swab, and my god it was painful, and then they did a uranalysis. They found nothing. I dont know if that nothing was HIV too. I dont know if u can test for HIV through the urine. but they said no STDS. which was good. I went on doxycycline for 10 days and after the 10th day, it felt fine. 2 weeks later, which is now, i am starting to feel pain again. Not as bad as it was, but noticable pain. Is this normal. And it is still swollen too. is this normal? Now is epididymitis a symptom of HIV? and when will this pain go away? PLease oh please answer my question in a timely fashion and i will sure to make a very nice donation to your foundation. Thanks so much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Epididymitis can be caused by STDs, but is not related to HIV. However, it's worth noting that epididymitis or no epididymitis, the reason to be concerned about possible HIV infection is whether or not you placed yourself at risk for infection (unsafe sex, sharing intravenous drug needles, etc.). If you've placed yourself at risk, you should get a specific HIV test three months or longer from the time of your last potential exposure. I have no way of knowing what you were tested for at your visit to the urologist. You'll need to check with them for that information. Since your symptoms are starting to flare again, you'll probably need to see the urologist again for additional evaluation and treatment anyway. Epididymitis can be somewhat difficult to treat, but don't get discouraged. It really will eventually clear up, OK? You can read up on HIV symptoms and screening tests on this Web site. Check the review articles easily accessed on The Body's homepage and also the information in the archives of this forum. Thanks for your kind offer to make a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You!
Next
Reactive Elisa but indeterminate Western Blot

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.