Dec 12, 2007
Dear Dr. Bob,
I had protected (condom) sex with a women who I now believe is prostitute. It did not last long, maybe 10-15 min, after I ejaculated I pulled out went into the bathroom, took off the condom (durex) and threw it away. I then showered and found that she was already dressed and ready to go home. I met her thru a manager at the office of my client in Athens, Greece. She explained to me that my client had given her money and that she needed to leave--all this time I thought we had just hit it off. I gave her some taxi money, she gave me her number and I waved bye to this Russian beauty. I then went into the bathroom and downed 1.5g of Zithromax. I am due to return to the states in 2 weeks so I am here in Greece alone and need to hear your wonderful voice of reason and compassion. 1. Even though I had protected sex I am worried and will be taking an HIV test back in the states in 8 wks and then in 12 wks. Is there any statistical significance for a test performed at 8 weeks?
2. I am so paranoid, eventhough I didn't see any open sores I take the Zithromax in the event that I was exposed to Syphillis. Will Zithromax kill incubating T. Pallidum?
I hope you can answer my questions and I thank you ahead of time. You are life-saver.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Why all the worry? You adhered to safer sexual guidelines and your Durex latex condom remained intact. Neither HIV nor T. pallidum can permeate intact latex. No way. No how. In my opinion your Zithromax post-coitus chaser was not warranted.
To answer your specific questions:
1. If you remain worried, get a 12-week HIV test. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive or definitive.
2. The recommended treatment for primary, secondary and early latent syphilis is Benzathine penicillin G (2.4 million unites, intramuscularly administered). Alternative treatments used to include Zithromax (azithromycin) at a dose of two grams by mouth, however this is no longer recommended due to recent emergence of azithromycin-resistant Treponema pallidum.
So what if the hot Russian beauty you shagged turned out to be a prepaid naughty lady from Shady Lane. Your STD risk really doesn't change as it is based on how you did what you did, not whom you did it with. Your excessive worries are unwarranted.
Relax, stud. I'm quite sure all will turn out well (including you).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can I Get Hiv By Swallowing Saliva Of An Infected Person?
- How Long After Your Affected With Hiv Do You Get Yeast Infections?
- Can Hepatitis C Return After Being Cured?
- Hiv And Spots On Arm
- Does Hiv Cause Brain Tumor And Loss Of Memory?
- Healthy Foods For Hiv People To Increase The Cd4 Cells
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.