Wrong on Iraq, wrong on OraQuick? Is there an exit strategy??

In this year we have seen people getting a lot of things wrong. Beginning from notre President himself -- on Iraq, marriage, children's health care (How could he do that?? Are children the new evil?) Each time Bush has been wrong, countless have suffered. In my little life, one such small wrong has caused enormous amounts of anxiety, anguish and blood pressure. Suddenly, this one thing seems to cause more stress for me than watching the news (and everything on that is disturbing too, except the comic interludes provided by hypocritical senators in men's bathrooms!)

Eight weeks ago (September 17, 2007) I went to get tested as I wanted to be sure that I am HIV negative (since I am planning to get married). They used OraQuick Advance. They first asked me to swab my mouth (myself) using OraQuick Advance. I did this. About 20 minutes later they called me in and they showed me that there was a small red thing near the "T". It was not even a full line, just a small red thing. They said this could considered be reactive. I was shocked.

They did two follow-up tests using a finger stick on OraQuick Advance. Both two finger-prick tests were negative. I was still very confused and did not know what to believe. Next day I went for another OraQuick mouth swab test. Again it was negative. But, the kind-of positive test was not ready to leave my mind. I got tested again at 4, 6, and 8 weeks after that horrible day - all finger prick Oraquick tests. They were fortunately negative.

My sexual history is as non-stellar as Bush's record: --Jan 6, 2007 -- Had sex (with condoms vaginal and without condoms oral, with a girl I know for a long time). --March 28, 2007 --- I noticed after the stripper gave me a lap dance that there was a cut on her thigh. But, there was a band-aid on it. She said she cut herself while shaving. I was fully clothed during this encounter, but there was semen in my pants when I went home. --July 19, 2007 --- I had lap dance. Fully clothed, but there was some semen in my pants. -- September 15, 2007 --- I intensely kissed my girlfriend, I felt some blood in my mouth (I am going to get married to her soon, naturally no strip clubs anymore). We are engaged. We did not have sex. Neither oral nor vaginal. I am just worried as she used to work as a doctor in Africa (which is a very noble thing indeed), but I know there is high prevalence there. (I hate myself for being such a doubting Thomas, given that I admire and support her work.) -- Since September 15, 2007 That one scary oral OraQuick one week later. Got tested again at 4, 6, and 8 weeks after that horrible day - all finger prick Oraquick tests, negative.

1. So in your opinion, given my history would you believe that I am positive or negative? 2. Can the mouth swab test read differently than the finger prick? If I was exposed to the virus through kissing, can the mouth thing show positive earlier and the blood fingerpick not? 3. What is the full medical procedure to confirm false-positive? Is any more testing needed or can I woo-hoo? 4. I know Bush does not have an exit strategy. Do you have an exit strategy for me from my fears?

I have sent a check to your foundation. Hopefully, enough people come out and vote next year. Perhaps the nation may get something right. I can probably get this one thing right. Thanks so much!

Your comments about Dubya are right on target, but your fears about being HIV infected are as off base as the 2005 NIE report on Iran's nuclear program.

Your initial OraQuick with the "small red thing near the T" was a false positive. This has been confirmed and reconfirmed several times over by your subsequent negative tests. To specifically address your questions:

1. Definitively and conclusively negative!

2. They can read differently if one is a "false" positive, as was the case with your initial oral fluid OraQuick. Regarding oral HIV exposures, they would not result in the "mouth showing positive earlier than the blood finger prick" test. The immune system doesn't work that way!

3. You have more than completed "the full medical procedure" to confirm you initial test was indeed falsely positive. No further testing is warranted.

4. Sure. Just review the facts, accept the scientific evidence (which is irrefutable, by the way) and have some common sense. (Dubya ignores all this completely when making decisions.) If that doesn't allow you to join our X-Files (Ex-Worried Wells), then I'd recommend counseling to help you accept the truly wonderful news that you are HIV negative. As for Dubya's exit strategy, the best strategy is getting Dubya to exit the white house ASAP and crawl back to Crawford comfortable in the knowledge that he is indeed the absolute worst President this country has ever had to endure.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). As for hypocritical senators in men's bathrooms, check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzf049rgMI

Stephen Colbert!
Stopping and Re-Starting meds