Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do all HIVers deserve care?
Dec 9, 2007

Going by the statistical estimates on risks, it seems that one has to be extremely (and repeatedly) stupid to contract HIV. This means, most HIV +ve patients have deliberately, willfully, knowingly had the virus self-inflicted. Do they really deserve any care or compassion?

I don't mean to underrate HIV disease. A disease is a disease and it always feels bad if someone is suffering from such a horrible one. But if it is so suicidal (like getting doused in fuel, setting themselves to fire and crying for "HELP") do they deserve care?

Note that I have entirely different feelings for folks like you who have acquired it through accident, while performing an extremely compassionate and admirable job. Also for those little kids and Moms (infected by husbands) who are innocent and do not deserve the disease AT ALL.

I think 99% of your Foundation's funds should be directed to the unfortunate and innocent, and not the majority who got it self-inflicted.

Just my thoughts. Please, please don't take this as rude. I am just so frustrated that innocent HIV acquirers who deserve all the care are not getting it because of the stupid self-inflictors.

Respectfully, Ricky

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Ricky,

I couldn't disagree with you more! No one deserves to be HIV infected and there are no innocent victims. HIV is a viral illness, not a tool of self destruction. I have seen thousands of folks with HIV/AIDS over the past quarter century and I can assure you none not a single one wanted to be infected. Yes, some have placed themselves at risk for a whole variety of reasons, but none wanted to be infected.

Ricky, have you ever driven even one mile per hour over the speed limit? Have you ever driven without your seatbelt buckled? If you were to be injured in a car crash should you be turned away at the emergency room door? Have you ever eaten a Krispy Kreme donut? Are you more than a pound over your ideal body weight? Have you ever puffed on a cigarette or drank too much alcohol? If you ever have a heart attack or stroke, should you be turned away for medical care because of your "suicidal" behavior? By your logic anyone who is obese is not worthy of medical care because they did it to themselves. Are they too "self-inflictors"?

Ricky, sex is a powerful driving force and people do have lapses in judgment surrounding sexual situations for a whole host of reasons. Have you always, always, always been completely 100% safe? Think of it this way Ricky: half of all new HIV infections in the U.S. are in young adults aged 13-24. Young people who think they are in love (and not really at risk for HIV) do not give each other cancer or heart disease, but they can give each other HIV. They are neither "self-inflictors" nor innocent victims."

Finally Ricky, please note that I, who was infected at work while caring for others with this disease, do not in any way, shape or form consider myself to be any more "innocent" or "guilty" than any of the other 33,000,000 HIVers around the globe.

Ricky I hope you will reconsider your position. I can assure you and all our readers that The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation will not restrict energy or resources from anyone in need of services. To do so would be immoral and unconscionable!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Testing Questions (Donation Made)
Next
Donations ? all bull crap, do they really donate??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.