ARS Incubation

Dr. Franscino

I hope all is well with you. I wanted to ask you a quick question on the incubation period between possible exposure and ARS symptoms. I recently has sex with a girl (unknown status)I met and the condom was only used initially. It ripped half way through and I took it off and went for it without (stupid I know). Anyways, 2-3 days later I came down with a nasty fever that lasted about 3 days (very flu-like) and then a sore throat for a week after that. I know that the typical incubation for ARS symptoms is about 21 days. That said, is a 3 day reaction even possible or am I just being a moron? I think I may have caught the Flu...maybe even from her, but I want to rule out HIV if at all possible based on the short duration. Any advice?

BTW, I have donated to you folks 3 times now through the yrs and will continue to do so when I can.

You are correct. HIV ARS symptoms manifest themselves weeks, not days, after HIV primary infection. However, you should also note that since you decided to go Rambo-commando with your gal-pal, symptoms or no symptoms you'll still need to get an HIV test at the three-month mark.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

Real Life Lesson
I NEED YOUR WHOO-HOO aproval, Dr.Bob (Donation made)