The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS Incubation

Dec 4, 2007

Dr. Franscino

I hope all is well with you. I wanted to ask you a quick question on the incubation period between possible exposure and ARS symptoms. I recently has sex with a girl (unknown status)I met and the condom was only used initially. It ripped half way through and I took it off and went for it without (stupid I know). Anyways, 2-3 days later I came down with a nasty fever that lasted about 3 days (very flu-like) and then a sore throat for a week after that. I know that the typical incubation for ARS symptoms is about 21 days. That said, is a 3 day reaction even possible or am I just being a moron? I think I may have caught the Flu...maybe even from her, but I want to rule out HIV if at all possible based on the short duration. Any advice?

BTW, I have donated to you folks 3 times now through the yrs and will continue to do so when I can.

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are correct. HIV ARS symptoms manifest themselves weeks, not days, after HIV primary infection. However, you should also note that since you decided to go Rambo-commando with your gal-pal, symptoms or no symptoms you'll still need to get an HIV test at the three-month mark.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation ( In return I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

Dr. Bob

Real Life Lesson
I NEED YOUR WHOO-HOO aproval, Dr.Bob (Donation made)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint