OraQuick Advance and PCR Test

Hi Dr Frascino,

I am curious how accurate these tests are and the typical window period for each with regard to detectability. I was topped (with condom) just over a month ago. I don't think the codom tore or leaked, but who can really tell in the dark. He performed fellatio on me and licked my anus. I know all of the above are low risk activities with regard to HIV, but it was my fist time with a man and I'm more than a little scared. I've not been feeling well the past few weeks. I have a white tongue, slightly higher than usual temperature (I usually run around 96.7 and I'm coming in at around 98.6 as of late), diarrhea that comes and goes, but has been persistent. I'm not sure if my symptoms could be due to an std, and specifically HIV? I had a Oraquick Advance swab test at 30 days and it came back negative. I'm just not sure if I had the test too soon to be conclusive? Today I went and had blood drawn for a PCR test and I'll know that result next week. The PCR test was done at 33 days. I hear they're pretty accurate at 28 days. Can I Woo Hoo if it comes back negative?

Thanks for your help. I'll be making a donation to your foundation as it is a very valuable resource. Even for us foolish bi-curious guys! <wink>

Hey Bi-Curious Guy,

HIV-antibody tests, including OraQuick Advance, taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive or definitive.

PCR testing is generally not recommended for routine screening, due to the rate of false-positive tests, other technical considerations and cost.

Your overall HIV risk would be extremely low, assuming the latex condom was used properly and didn't fail. My advice would be not to worry, but to get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark and WOO-HOO like a banshee in heat when you see it's negative in 20 minutes.

Stay safe and stay well, whichever side of the fence you choose to play one.

many co infections
blood on a pint glass