I like you Dr. Bob but go easy

Usually your comments are witty but empathetic...but don't you think you were a little hard on the Expired Condom guy who wrote in October? maybe he was just a kid who got an old condom from another kid...or maybe he accidentally had the old ones mixed up in the dresser drawer with the newer ones...but jeez...you're gonna give him a complex by calling him a geek and making fun of his sexual inexperience and/or infrequency. You'd have been better off just answering the question and advising him to make sure he cleans his drawers more often (lol...that's actually kinda funny) I'm disappointed in you Dr.Bob!

I reread my response. (See below.) Do you really think expired condom guy is going to have long-term psychological damage from such innocent wisecracking??? If so, he might as well climb onto the shrink's couch now because he'll soon be requiring therapy anyway. Remember my ultimate purpose here is to educate the general public and make them aware of HIV/AIDS and how to prevent it. Sometimes a witty retort gets that message across more effectively. I'll stick by the advice I provided to expired condom guy and continue to assume he was neither offended nor psychologically wounded by my repartee!

Expired Condoms Oct 29, 2007

I had sex with my girlfried for the first time and we used a condom. Later I found out that the condom expired in 2005 and now I'm really worried. What happens when a condom expires?

You had sex with your "girlfried" and later noticed the condom expired in 2005??? (Now I can understand your desire to get your girl hot, but "fried"?) As for the 2005 condoms, WOWZA! you and "girlfried" don't get it on much, now do you?!? Or maybe you were being frugal and decided to shop at Costco and got suckered into buying the cost-effective condom multi-pack containing 5,000 gold-pack Magnums!?! But really, dude, do you think a geek like you, who can't even spell girlfriend properly, is going to get that lucky that often? Oh, never mind. As far as what happens when condoms expire, well, aside from the owner getting depressed because he couldn't manage to get laid within the several-year time span from purchase to expiration date, the latex of an expired condom can begin to lose its integrity and become more likely to fail (break). But apparently that unfortunate occurrence didn't happen in your case, so you can relax. Your worries are unwarranted. I would, however, discard any other outdated condoms that might be in your bedroom goody drawer and maybe forego the economical multi-packs in the future. When you decide to have sex again (in the year 2010?) you should buy some fresh ones. OK?

Stay safe. Stay well. Stop worrying.

burn out at old hiv-pioneers (OLDER PEOPLE AND HIV/AIDS)
Seriously, What is meant by an "open sore"?