10 years and it's over ?

Doctor, I read today in www.xxxxxxxx.org.br, a brazilian site, that after 10 years, pacients in treatment begin to die because medicines doesn't work anymore... and... there's no new medicines available... Is it 10 years a deadline so far ? In general of course .... I know it depends of their lifestyle, care, safe sex etc... But the news says, from the beginning of treatment, 10 years is the dealine to begin serious health problems.... I've become worry !! I'm positive since 2000, but I don't use meds yet... I'm afraid of beginning take meds.... Tk U very much for your time !!

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

You read that after 10 years HIV patients on treatment die because the medicines don't work anymore?!?!?! Marcelo, if that were true, I wouldn't be here responding to your question, because I would have been pushing up daisies for the past five years! (I was infected in January 1991.)

You also read that no new medicines were available!?!?!? Hmm . . . I can only assume with such blatantly inaccurate information the Brazilian site you were reading must be the equivalent of our Fox News station here in the U.S. Marcelo, the new drug pipeline for HIV therapies is quite promising. Just do a bit of searching around on this Web site and you'll find loads of information on new and developing treatments, including raltegravir, the new integrase inhibitor; maraviroc, the new CCR5 antagonist and KP-1461, a promising new mutagenic deoxyribonucleoside analogue in development.

Finally, what's this nonsense about your being afraid to begin HIV therapy? Marcelo, if I had been afraid to start my HIV meds, I would certainly be dead by now.

Marcelo, I strongly urge you to get more accurate information and to work closely with an HIV specialist. A good place to increase your basic HIV knowledge is right here on this site by using the archives and the various links. I'd suggest you begin on The Body's homepage with the topics listed under "Quick Links."

Get informed and take control of your health! If you don't, HIV will win the battle and take control of you!

goodyear rubber (DOUBLE BAGGING) (USING TWO CONDOMS)
burn out at old hiv-pioneers (OLDER PEOPLE AND HIV/AIDS)