Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WHO-WOOable??? I'm so scared Dr.Bob...
Nov 24, 2007

Hello Dr.Bob, I'm sorry about my English because I live outside the US.

I have been reading all your messages and posts and I must say that you are really really helpful, and so does this site. That is why I promise I will donate to your foundation.

My case is the following: 4 months ago, I had a exposure with a sexworker (unprotected vaginal), and I took several tests: 1 month, 2 months and the last one in the 3 month mark. They all were NEGATIVE, so I calmed and thought everything was over.

This was my only exposure, and the status of the sexworker was unknown. After the 3 month negative, I followed the guidelines and I began to have unprotected sex with my girlfriend.

2 weeks after this, she has developed something which is exactly like ARS: headaches, high temperature, sore throat, etc. I am so scared Dr.Bob!!! I thought the 3 month mark was conclusive...and know I feel really worried about this.

Could it be a case of late seroconversion? Do you think that I nedd further testing? Please, I need your help. I will donate, of course, for all the support you give here.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to three months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Late seroconversion? Nope!

Please note headaches, fever and sore throat are extremely common ailments. The vast, vast, vast majority of these cases have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. And this is exactly the case with your girlfriend's symptoms! She did not contract HIV from you. How do I know that? Because you don't have HIV! No further HIV testing is warranted. However, if you do not believe my reassurances and continue to fixate on HIV, get a repeat rapid HIV test. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

My advice:

1. Level with your girlfriend. This is the best way to confront your guilt and it's the right thing to do.

2. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!

Thank you for your gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your one gift will touch many lives!

Be well. (You are indeed well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please don't misunderstand my donation
Next
Bless your heart Doc!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.