Is ARS contagious?

Dr. Frascino, About 1 month ago, i had unprotected anal sex with another guy(not my boyfriend). I was the top, and we were fooling around and i stuck it in for about a minute. I pulled it out and put on a condom to finish. 5-6 days later i got a fever and was tired, my throat became sore and my Dr said my throat had an infection. Antibiotics cleared it up. My boyfriend got the same symptoms i had one week after i had it. I was tested at 11 days, and it was negative. The question i have is: Are ARS symptoms contagious? meaning are the fever and sore throat, etc, contagious from ARS or are the symptoms only cause by hiv itself and not contagious to someone without transmitting hiv? thanks, and i hope this makes sense. ~Joe

Hi Joe,

ARS symptoms are not contagious. They are a direct consequence of being HIV infected. That antibiotics cleared up your problem would suggest it was caused by a bacterium, not a virus. That your boyfriend developed similar symptoms one week after you suggests you passed your respiratory infection on to him. It has nothing to do with HIV ARS, OK?

Joe, because you did have unprotected anal sex, you do still need an HIV-screening test at the three-month mark.

Touching Condom
Automatic Donations every month(please answer)