Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Massage and hand relief risk
Nov 24, 2007

Dear Dr Bob

Ive looked threw the archives under "can you have safer sex" but i cant understand how a massage and mutual masturbation has been classed as low risk? Shouldnt it be no risk? Especially a massage ?

The last 4 months ive been going to massage parlours and had a genuine massage but sometimes i get the extra hand relief to finish.

I had a low risk HIV scare a year ago and after i tested negative i promised myself i will never take ANY risks again.

These are the situations ive put myself in:

On 6 occasions ive had a massage with oil and the masseur has given me hand relief until i came.

Once during a massage i sucked on the ladys nipple and touched her anus but did not put my finger inside. I had no cuts on my finger.

Whenever ive received a hand job i never saw any blood on there hands from cuts and when i sucked the ladys nipple she had no piercings.

Ive been living abroad for 4 months now away from my wife but will be back with her at Christmas so all my anxiety is if I have put myself at risk and possibly caught something and then giving it to her.

Please tell me straight Dr Bob. Did I put myself at risk and should I test.

Thanks for everything you do here Robert. Ive donated $50.

Tony.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Tony,

I am not responsible for what others write, but I can tell you the scientific facts concerning HIV transmission. HIV is not transmitted by massage or mutual masturbation, unless there are extraordinary extenuating circumstances, such as both partners' bleeding profusely with adequate exposure of an open wound to tainted blood.

The activities you describe are completely safe and carry essentially no risk for HIV transmission. Testing is not warranted. If you don't believe me or remain worried despite my reassurances, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Thank you for your tax-deductible gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated, particularly in this Thanksgiving season.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
One for the books
Next
Touching Condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.