Pregnant with 4th child

Hi Dr. Bob,

You are awesome. A few weeks ago I went in for a routine check up for my pregnancy and was told by Elisa test came back reactive and my Western Blot, indeterminate. My doctor basically told me I was HIV positive. I was terrified. I've been married for a long time and have 3 healthy children and have had HIV tests with each pregnancy. I got on the internet, found your Q&A board and was so happy, relieved, hopeful at your responses to the other pregnant women. Who knew about these cross-reacting antibodies. (Certainly not my doctor.) Anyway, I've had the PCR, which thankfully came back negative. My question is, do I need to have a follow-up test and if so, what test should I have?? Is this test the most accurate?

I will be making a donation to your Foundation and will put it on my list of charitable organizations to support from now on.

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I wish you health and happiness.

I'm delighted you found this information here helpful. Someone really should enlighten your doctor! Perhaps you could send him a copy of some of my posts from the archives. At any rate, to respond to your question, no, additional follow-up tests are not needed. Chances are the same cross-reacting antibodies may well show up again. Your negative PCR is definitive and correlates well with your history of lack of potential exposure. You can WOO-HOO with every confidence! OK?

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your gift will help turn hopelessness into hope.

Be well. (And that's a doctor's order!) Good luck with #4.

Happy Thanksgiving
worried future med student