Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I think ur going to win the toaster
Nov 20, 2007

Whaz up Dr. Bob,

Im in a bit of a dihlema. Had unprotected vaginal sex with a csw, and I have been freakin out for the past 7 weeks. Have had some red spots on the palms of my hands that seem to come and go( no pun intended)I got tested via hiv pcr dna at 18 days as well as 28 days along with antibody test negative. Then tested negative for rapid hiv at 5 1/2 weeks as well as 7 weeks. I am a complete worry wart being that I have major ocd. Had all other test run (chlam.Gon.,Hep a,b,c.,Shyphilis)all negative.)My doc. is from Boston area, and told me 6 weks in conclusive and to move on, but I am torn because of the debate overthe window periods. Can you please give me ur profesional opinion. Do i need to continue testing or does it look like im in the clear. By the way im the the gayest str8 man on earth( real picky as well) but if I made the switch, U would be the one. Im sure u hear that all the time, but its the truth. Holler back at ur boy if u get the chance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Metrosexual OCD-er,

The vast majority of those infected with HIV will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood by six weeks. However, a small percentage of folks may take a bit longer to develop this level of immune response.

Because the consequences of missing even a small percentage of true positives would be catastrophic, the current guidelines continue to recommend that HIV-antibody screening tests be performed at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to this are not considered to be definitive. Your negative tests at 5.5 and 7 weeks are extremely encouraging, but not yet definitive. Regarding the PCR DNA, PCRs are not recommended for routine HIV screening.

Thanks for putting me over the top for the toaster oven.

Stay well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
So How Many Got Infected Via Insertive Oral 2 (ORAL SEX RISK)
Next
retarded nail biter back for more

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.