Candiasis as the ONLY symptom, and test accuracy.
Nov 17, 2007
Dearest Doc Dude,
I stupidly had one time, 5 minutes of unprotected vaginal sex with a chick in UK. This has been my only risk in years. About two weeks later I developed a strange 'lesion' on my tongue, in the very centre aout two thirds of the way back.
About 1cm x 2cm in size, it seemed that the papillae has disappeared, although when I shone a torch on it, they were there, just very small. The lesion appeared slightly red (more of a pink), although this could be because the surrounding area is coated (I smoke and drink too much, the coating has always been there). The lesion was not painful, raised or even sensitive.
I've had nil other symptoms other than a horse voice that lasted like a day, and even then my throat wasnt sore.
I took a rapid HIV test at 9 weeks, which was negative. (I know this isn't 'officially' Woo-Hooable but I guess it's a pretty good indication).
In your most valued oppinion:-
1. Does this lesion sound like Erythematous Candidiasis to you? (My GP and dentist had a look and both said not, but then they didn;t know about my sexpedition) 2. What would be the chances of EC being the ONLY symptom of ARS? 3. How much of a risk was my 'one night stand' with unknown status chick? 4. My lesion seems to be clearing up a bit now, (started to after my HIV test). Does this suggest late seroconversion? In other words, if the lesion only healed after 10 weeks, would this mean I only started producing antibodies then?
If U could find a bit of time to help a British Buddy in distress, that would be so cool doc.
Loads of love and big respect from across the pond...
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hi British Buddy,
1. Nope! I absolutely agree with your GP and dentist.
3. The risk would be low, but not nonexistent.
4. No, absolutely not!
Your nine-week negative test is very encouraging, but not conclusive. My advice is simple (and probably fairly predictable as well).
1. Stop stressing!
2. Get a rapid HIV test (or ELISA) at the three-month mark.
3. Stop smoking! If you don't it will indeed kill you in a very undignified and painful way.
Good luck. Be well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.