Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wish I'd taken that job now...um
Nov 17, 2007

Dear Dr Frascino, I wrote a little while back, worried about lots of symptoms I thought (imagined) were indicators of having caught HIV. I've just had my test result (yesterday) and - against everything I genuinely expected - it was negative. I'm still suspicious that it's wrong, or the result of a filing error...(it was outwith the 3 month period by about a week). Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for your last response. I'm the stupid guy who didn't take your advice (I was worried about accepting a job in Tokyo, because I was sure I'd contracted HIV). I've only one more wee question - I'm still a little paranoid that the result is wrong, for whatever reason - should I get re-tested in another 3 months? Thank you in advance - I'll be making a donation to your website; while I was away from my home country, and had no-one to talk to about my worries, your website was a tremendous source of information and reassurance. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Congratulations on your negative test. Sorry to hear you decided against the new position and are now regretting that decision. (I'll restrain myself from saying "told ya so!")

As for your "one more wee question," well I was anticipating that since it was a "wee question" it might concern watersports, but alas no, you are wondering about more testing! Hmm . . . as you will recall I didn't think you needed the first test, let alone additional tests. In my opinion repeating your test in another three months is not warranted; however, the testing option is, of course, always available to you. The result will unquestionably be negative and you'll then write back to me again, saying "Hey Bob, guess what?!? My follow-up test was negative too!" And then I'll have to restrain myself once again from saying "told ya so!" Nonetheless whatever you decide to do, you are HIV negative. How long it will take you to finally accept that really wonderful news is anyone's guess.

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed well, whether you believe it or not.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Real life Dilema!
Next
Suggestion..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.