Sharing food/blood in saliva?

Hi Dr. Bob,

You rock! My best friend has recently been diagnosed as HIV+ and is really doing ok. I'm still digesting this news, but am ok now, too. I have kept the news to myself because it's really no one's business but my friend's. For myself, I decided to tell my Mom who lives far away--it helps to try saying it aloud and she's usually really great and supportive. Well, being a dental hygienist who has HIV+ patients, she FLIPPED OUT about the idea of us sharing food or utensils. We are both chefs and always share everything we order--it's our thing. Anyway, I have done so much research since I learned his news and KNOW that transmission is impossible, but her concerns were blood in the saliva and the fact that food is often body temperature. I know I can't contract it this way, but can you address this? I really want to hear it from you that we can share food as long as neither of us has bleeding gums, sores, or a bitten lip. She is making this harder on me and I really need to hear it from you. Can you clarify the risk, if any, and any advice on dealing with a crazy, but caring Mom? Thanks so much Dr. Bob!!

"Crazy but caring moms" will always be crazy, but caring moms. However, scientific facts will always be scientific facts. Your research on possible HIV transmission from casual contact, such as sharing food, is correct. Your mom's fears are unwarranted. Why not turn your mom onto this site. As a dental hygienist she may well find it enlightening and by reading the wealth of information in the archives and at its links hopefully she will stop flipping out about non-risks.

Suicidal
Viral Load Test