Tested at 52 days

Hello Doc Bob,

I jz got tested today at 52 days mark. Just like Doc HHH at medhelp.com says - in 6-8weeks. Hope 52 days count.

It was MEIA ab HIV-I/II test, asked the lab personnel there and she says its not ELISA as ELISA is considered 'older-test', but i checked the web and the it says they're the same. She also said the test is not looking for antibody,but the 'REAL' HIV. As i know, only PCR is looking for 'REAL HIV', and the 'ab' in front of the HIV-I/II definitely stands for 'antibody'. She also says the window period is 6 months!...man, i guess she dunno wat she's talking about...

Anyway, if u all don't mind, i just repost my exposure. It was unprotected oral and protected vaginal (4 times in a day, all protected and using diff condom ofcoz). The exposure happened at Thailand with a 21 years old CSW. I also dunno how a broken condom looks like, but the condom looks fine when i took it off, but it could be me not noticing.

What made me worried are:- 1. The fact that she's a CSW. And its 'THAILAND' 2. It was my 1st time and i had no prior experience. I guess i put on the condom correctly, but no lubrication used as the condom is very oily already. 3. I also dunno how a broken condom looks like, but the condom looks fine when i took it off, but it could be me not noticing. 4. She bleeds at the 1st intercourse, mayb she's on her last day of period. Blood might increase the risk. 5. I used durex strawberry flavoured condom, i heard ppl saying some flavoured condom isnt safe, it could be just 'novelty condom' or for oral fun only. 6. the 1st intercourse was actually protected oral lead to protected vaginal with the same condom, i jz hope all the sucking and a lil bit of biting doesnt weaken the condom and cause it to break. And the 1st condom actually provided by the CSW herself, the cover has thai writings and i dunno 'thai condom' is up to standard or not. 7. I do not wash myself immediately after the last intercourse, my penis is oily, i dunno its from the condom (could it b the inside of the condom also lubricated/or i wore it inside out, stupid, i know) or it could be the condom broken n vaginal fluid went inside the condom.

I got my result back and its NON-REACTIVE. But how reliable is a 7.5 week MEIA (unknown generation)?

That "lab personnel" is indeed quite clueless. A call to her supervisor is warranted, as she is clearly confused on many levels.

Regarding your situation, I'll try to clear up a few specific points:

1. Although the vast majority of HIV-infected individuals will indeed have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in the blood by six weeks, most published guidelines for testing continue to recommend three months as the cutoff for a conclusive test. I agree.

2. MEIA is Microplate Enzymatic Immunoassay. It is an ELISA and generally considered to be "3rd generation."

Traveling Abroad for the HIV+
Oral sex and transmission