Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fast Testing
Nov 14, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

Firstly may I take this chance to thank you for your efforts on this wonderful forum, providing quality real world advise to so many people.

My question is this, I tested HIV negative 9 weeks after a possible heterosexual exposure in a low prevelance area of Western Europe (vaginal sex lasting c. 2 minutes with a woman of unknown status I had met on vacation). I myself am a 34 year old UK male.

For personal reasons, I am unable to test on the NHS (my mother works at the local doctors surgery and tends to see all of my test results before I do). For this reason I was tested in a private clinic in a different city. The test I took was a 'rapid HIV antibody test', involving a pin prick to the finger, collecting blood in a tube and then applying it to a slide a bit like a pregnancy test. The resulting single line 15 minutes later showing that I was negative.

I am on a low income, and saving up to take this test was difficult. I decided to wait for 9 weeks as another net based forum (also chaired by a world respected HIV expert), suggested that essentially all exposures would be detected at 2 months.

Having come across this forum I am now wondering if I have potentially wasted my money, as you recomend a 12 week test rather than the 9 weeks test I took.

In your view, what percentage of true positives would be picked up by an antibody test at 9 weeks? Judging by the sensitivity and specificity of the test, as described by the nurse (not to mention the cost), I think it's pretty modern.

As I said, I'm on a pretty low income, but I promise you that a donation of as much as I can afford will be on it's way to your foundation.

Kindest regards.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

It is true the vast majority of HIV-infected individuals will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood by six weeks. However, in my opinion and that of many others, "vast majority" is probably not good enough when dealing with an illness like HIV/AIDS and the potential catastrophic consequences of missing an infection due to delayed antibody production. Consequently most published guidelines still recommend HIV-antibody tests be performed at least three months from the time of the last potential exposure. You can read more about this topic in the chapter on "HIV Testing Basics," which can be accessed under "Quick Links" on The Body's homepage.

I have no way of knowing which "rapid HIV antibody test" you actually took, nor can I provide you with accurate statistics about percentage of true positives detected by your specific test at nine weeks as that data does not exist.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Spit or Swallow....Can this really be true
Next
Please HELP!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.