Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I worry?
Nov 13, 2007

Dear Dr.Bob, I know you would have answered such queries many times ... please please answer this one too ...

I had sex with a sex worker 2 months back, used condom. But, unfortunately, I touched the outside of the condom and then touched my penis glan after approximately 1 minute. From the next day, I started having burning sensation, tiredness, etc. My doctor tested my urine and suggested gonorheal infection and treated me for it. However, I still have the following symptoms. 1) burning sensation 2) pain in my urinary tract (bladder, tubes, etc.) 3) Itching sensation in the body that created few rashes 4) Dry skin 5)Burning Feet. Please tell me whether this could be HIV. I understand I need to get tested. I am going to do that some time this week. Please please answer as soon as possible, I am scared. After seeing your service, I, whole heartedly, going to donate now ... thanks for the great job ...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your chance of contracting HIV from the activity you describe is remote to nonexistent. Symptoms that begin "the next day" are not related to HIV/AIDS. Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) symptoms related to HIV primary infection take weeks to become manifest, not days.

Certainly you could have picked up a urethritis of some sort (gonococcal or non-gonococcal) or some other condition (prostatitis, etc.). The symptoms you describe are not suggestive of HIV. If you are worried, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. Follow up with your regular medical doctor for your other complaints. These should be fairly easily handled with proper diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. In return I'm sending my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV test is negative. I'm quite confident it indeed will be.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, please help
Next
Why the lies?????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.