Is this true? Donation info please

Dear Doctor, Thanks in advance for your answers.

1-I have read that 6 month test is required if the person is cancer or IV drug user or real immune system disorder. Otherwise, 3 months is conclusive. Is that true?

2-Does testing time change according to the type of exposure? For instance, is 3 months conclusive for both single oral sex and single receptive anal sex? Shorlty, does risk group change the seroconversion period?

3-Last week, you said 3 months test is conclusive for insertive anal sex. However, in one of your posts, which emerged at the opening page of thebody.com, you said 6 months test required for insertive anal sex. Which one is true? 3 or 6?

4-How can I make donation? Please give me the information.

Karma

Hello Karma,

1. I would consider a negative FDA HIV-antibody test conclusive at the three-month mark, baring any extenuating circumstances, such as those you mentioned.

2. No, the time to seroconversion does not change with different types of sexual exposure or numbers of exposures.

3. I don't know exactly which post you are referring to, but most likely it was someone who had a documented significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive. In these situations the CDC recommends that if the person tests negative at three months they get a confirmatory test at the six-month mark as well. You can read more about HIV testing in the archives and also in the chapter, "HIV Testing Basics," which can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the heading "Quick Links."

4. Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Just click on the donation tab. Thanks for your interest in helping others in desperate need.

Be well.

In the name of God?
Dr. Bob, please help