Is this true? Donation info please
Nov 12, 2007
Dear Doctor, Thanks in advance for your answers.
1-I have read that 6 month test is required if the person is cancer or IV drug user or real immune system disorder. Otherwise, 3 months is conclusive. Is that true?
2-Does testing time change according to the type of exposure? For instance, is 3 months conclusive for both single oral sex and single receptive anal sex? Shorlty, does risk group change the seroconversion period?
3-Last week, you said 3 months test is conclusive for insertive anal sex. However, in one of your posts, which emerged at the opening page of thebody.com, you said 6 months test required for insertive anal sex. Which one is true? 3 or 6?
4-How can I make donation? Please give me the information.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. I would consider a negative FDA HIV-antibody test conclusive at the three-month mark, baring any extenuating circumstances, such as those you mentioned.
2. No, the time to seroconversion does not change with different types of sexual exposure or numbers of exposures.
3. I don't know exactly which post you are referring to, but most likely it was someone who had a documented significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive. In these situations the CDC recommends that if the person tests negative at three months they get a confirmatory test at the six-month mark as well. You can read more about HIV testing in the archives and also in the chapter, "HIV Testing Basics," which can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the heading "Quick Links."
4. Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Just click on the donation tab. Thanks for your interest in helping others in desperate need.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Percent Is The Chance Of Getting Hep C From Razors?
- How Do You Deal With Friends Who Are Hiv Positive?
- Chances Of Contracting Hiv After Twice Exposed
- How Many Years Before Hiv Symptoms Appear?
- How Soon After Infected Can You Tell If You Hav Hiv Or Aids?
- Do Nurse Injects Patient With Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.