Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared in Iraq
Nov 10, 2007

Doc- I have asked a couple questions in previous months and you have been kind enough to help ease my mind. Well, I have one more concern I'm hoping you could tackle. I am currently serving my time in Iraq and had a sexual encounter prior to arriving here. It was unprotected vaginal and oral sex which lasted only a short time. I have tried to get a blood test on 2 occasions, but the results never made it back or the samples never made it out. What has me worried is a small puffed up lymph node on the left side of my neck. It has been almost 6 months since my encounter and was wondering if this could be an initial sign of HIV. I plan to get tested again when I make it back. I don't believe I have exhibited any other signs, but have read that lymph node swelling is a common first sign of HIV. I had the Doc look at it and he said is was puffed a little, but is only the size of a pea. Could this be a sign to worry me? Please help me out one last time Doc. My donations are already on the way. Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Scared in Iraq,

While I can think of many reasons to be "scared in Iraq," noticing a single pea-sized lymph node on the left side of my neck wouldn't (and shouldn't) be one of them! The lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph glands) associated with HIV is generalized, which means the glands pop up at many locations simultaneously in response to the virus. HIV circulates through the whole body and therefore would not only be bothering a single small lymph node on one side of your neck!

You still should be tested, because of your unprotected sexperience, but you shouldn't worry about that tiny node, OK?

Keep your head down and come home safe. A rapidly growing majority of Americans are now in favor of getting you and all our soldiers home ASAP.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How many are actually positive?
Next
4th Try For Fluids and Cut Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.