The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need your help Doc!

Nov 7, 2007

Hi Doc, I've written to you before and you told me that I needed to have a test later on. I had protected vaginal and unprotected oral (me as the giver) on June 29th. July 11th I fell so ill I ended up having a tonisllecotmy, but no one knows what exactly was wrong. Still to this day, four months and one week later, I feel horrible. I have pain in my groin above pubic bone and night sweats, coughs, etc. I took a rapid blood test at the 6th week, and it was negative, a rapid and one at my doc office at the 10th week, and it was negative. Yesterday, following your advice to get one at the 3 month mark, I took a test at 4 months and 1 week - the orasure oral rapid one... the test performer made me swap back and forth above my two front teeth on the gums on the top and bottom, I did this for about 8-10 seconds - he then put it in the solution. It was negative. This seems such a weird way to get a conclusive result, especially after just brushing my teeth... my question is this -- Can I be happy with these results and despite symptoms, can I say that I am HIV negative at 120 days post exposure?

Your answer means the world to me.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your negative four-month OraSure oral rapid test is indeed definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative! Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is now absolutely certain: it's not HIV! No way. No how. OK?

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!

Dr. Bob

Donation made , I need you help

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint