The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

help a soldier in iraq

Nov 5, 2007

I recently went to Africa on my two weeks break from Iraq and had unprotected sex with a female. this was dumb. about three weeks ago I started feel burning sensation in my nose, mouth and throat. I instantly thought HIV and check online. Sore throat is one of the symptoms. got me even more worry. The snesation has lasted for over three weeks now and sometimes subside but reemerges during the course of the night. As you can expect I am worry sick. I cannot take a test b/c I am located on a outpost in baghdad. can I get my hands on self administer home kit?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Soldier in Iraq,

Yep, unprotected sex in Africa would indeed qualify as a massive lapse in judgment. What you need is an HIV test at the three-month mark. Tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be conclusive. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for or suggestive of HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome); however, you should still get HIV tested at the three-month mark, OK? I have no information about home test kits in Iraq. Hopefully by the time your window period (three months) is up you'll be stationed at a more reasonable place that will allow for HIV screening. It's a simple 20-minute test.

Good luck. Come home soon and safe, OK? Thank you for your efforts in Iraq on our behalf.

Dr. Bob

Should I Start New Life !!
freaked out pianist - $100 donation made

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint