fear of hiv

Respected sir, I am Srimonto from INDIA & presently I am 25 years of age. Exactly two and half years ago I had a sexual intercourse with an prostitute without any protection. After two & half years I had two consecutive ELISA tests done for HIV antibody. Both the tests were negative indicating that I am not infected. But I still have one Question in mind that creates tremendous anxiety in me & it prevents me from doing my normal work. My specific query is- 1) can it so happen that the virus has entered my body in very small amount which has been eliminated by the imune system but there may have some latent memory T cell from which infection can occur in later??? 2) and thus the antibody produced in very small amount would be detectable after two and half years??? I am a research scholar in a reputed institute in INDIA & this problem is creating utmost difficulty for me in carrying out my work. so I request you to please help me out of the situation by answering my queries.Awaiting your reply eagerly, Yours faithfully, Srimonto

Hello Srimonto,

1. No, neither HIV infection nor the immune response to HIV (or other bloodborne pathogens) works this way.

2. No, absolutely not.

Your two consecutive negative HIV tests two and a half years after your unprotected sexual interlude are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!

Thank You Thank You Thank You
HIV survival question