Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fear of hiv
Nov 2, 2007

Respected sir, I am Srimonto from INDIA & presently I am 25 years of age. Exactly two and half years ago I had a sexual intercourse with an prostitute without any protection. After two & half years I had two consecutive ELISA tests done for HIV antibody. Both the tests were negative indicating that I am not infected. But I still have one Question in mind that creates tremendous anxiety in me & it prevents me from doing my normal work. My specific query is- 1) can it so happen that the virus has entered my body in very small amount which has been eliminated by the imune system but there may have some latent memory T cell from which infection can occur in later??? 2) and thus the antibody produced in very small amount would be detectable after two and half years??? I am a research scholar in a reputed institute in INDIA & this problem is creating utmost difficulty for me in carrying out my work. so I request you to please help me out of the situation by answering my queries.Awaiting your reply eagerly, Yours faithfully, Srimonto

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Srimonto,

1. No, neither HIV infection nor the immune response to HIV (or other bloodborne pathogens) works this way.

2. No, absolutely not.

Your two consecutive negative HIV tests two and a half years after your unprotected sexual interlude are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You Thank You Thank You
Next
HIV survival question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.