Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

rapid HIV testing

hello there. I have a quick question. I was tested at 1 month, 2 months and 3 months. The last 2 tests were by the Oraquick rapid test that takes about 20 minutes to get the results. My results were all negative each time. I guess my question is regarding to the testing process. When The clinician was taking my blood, she cleaned my finger with rubbing alcohol, but she did not allow the finger to thoroughly dry and took the blood sample anyway... I guess my question is, will rubbing alcohol mixed with my blood affect the outcome of an HIV rapid test? Will rubbing alcohol contaminate the blood specimen and render the test results in any way? I appreciate any help you can provide me. I will be more than happy to make a donation to your organization. Thanks!

Alcohol cleaning prior to getting pricked by the lancet for an OraQuick rapid test will not affect the test results, even if the alcohol was not allowed to dry. Your negative three-month test is definitive and conclusive. Yell WOO-HOO and start celebrating, OK?

Thanks for your very kind intentions to make a tax-deductible gift to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation to help promote our two-pronged mission of (1) providing crucial services to men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS worldwide and (2) promoting HIV/AIDS awareness through advocacy and education.

Be well. Stay well.

ELISA+ve PCR -ve
Thank You Thank You Thank You