|What is E.C.L.I.A??? Is this test reliable?
Nov 1, 2007
Hello Doc, during a risk encounter with a girl, the condom broke briefly (about 10 seconds). This was 90 days ago, and after reading all the posts and your answers I did 2 4th generation tests at 21 days and at 9 weeks, both of them Negative.
Yesterday, after 89 days, I took the final test: it was Negative too, and it was a blood analysis with "electro chemical luminescence" or something like that (called E.C.L.I.A).
After 89 days of waiting...
1. Is this definitive? Should I retest? (I hope not becouse of 1 day!)
2. Is this kind of blood test reliable? (it's suposed to be a 4th generation test: HIV 1+2 and p24 antigen)
3. How can I donate? You have helped me a lot.
Thank you very much for your answer, I didn't found anything related to this in the old posts.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. I cannot change the published guidelines that state HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive. However, personally, I would consider your negative fourth generation tests at 3 and 9 weeks and an 89-day negative ECLIA following a 10-second (condom failure) exposure to be definitive and conclusive. Go ahead and WOO-HOO!
2. ECLIA is Electrochemiluminescence immunoassay. Yes, it's not only reliable, it's a really, really good word if you're playing Scrabble.
3. Just sign on to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org and click on the donate tab. There you'll find all the information for making tax-deductible donations using credit cards, PayPal, check, direct wire transfer, checks, money orders, etc.
Thank you for your interest in making a tax-deductible gift to help those in desperate need.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Diarrhea After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Can The Receiver Of Oral Sex Catch A Std?
- Does Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding Mean I Have An Std?
- Does Salt Cure Thrush?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.